|Hotel Rimouski’s commitment to environmental protection is guided by its environmental program. This program, which focuses on responsible environmental management throughout the company, is designed to minimize the Hotel’s operations ecological footprint through resource conservation and implementation of best practices.
In 2010, as a result of the implementation of its environmental program and of its concern to reinforce the company’s commitment to environment and sustainable development, the Hotel Rimouski has received the following environmental certifications:
|4 GREEN KEYS Certification (GREEN KEY ECO-RATING)
This certification is awarded to a hotel that has shown national industry leadership and commitment to protecting the environment through its wide-ranging policies and practices. The hotel has mature programs in place that involve management, employees, guests, and the public, and which have shown substantial and measurable results.
|ICI ON RECYCLE Level 2 Certification (RECYC-QUÉBEC)
This certification recognizes the company’s commitment and efforts towards a sound management of residual materials, by the implementation of various measures of reduction, reuse and recycling-reclamation, and by various actions implemented by the company to increase awareness regarding a sound management of residual materials.
Our environmental program is based on the following principles :
- Work diligently to minimize our waste stream and to use less natural resources.
- Comply with the current environmental regulations and strive to follow best environmental practices.
- Make environmental considerations an important aspect of business decision-making.
- Reassess the objectives of our program on a periodic basis.
- Consider the opinions of our guests about the environment.
- Inform and increase the awareness of our event organizers about earth-friendly activities.
- Value the natural and cultural heritage of our hotel, allowing us to give our guests an authentically local experience.
At the Hotel Rimouski, we respect the environment in the day-to-day management. The following list contains the actions that we do every day in order to meet our environmental objectives :
Resource management energy/water :
- Resource management energy/water:
- Incandescent lighting changed for compact fluorescent lighting;
- Computerized control system for the management of heating and air conditioning;
- Motion sensors activate the following elements in public restrooms of the hotel: switches, faucets, urinals, hand dryers, paper towel dispensers;
- Energy efficient lighting fixtures, energy efficient light bulbs;
- Installation of energy efficient faucets with aerators;
- Installation of energy efficient shower heads;
- Water saving device in toilet tanks.
Reduction/reclamation of residual materials :
- Use of recycling bins in rooms, offices, working spaces and public areas;
- Recovery and recycling: papers, cardboards, containers, plastic, glass, metals, newspapers, magazines, and other materials;
- Recycling of boxes for archives;
- Electronic equipment recycling;
- Double-sided printing;
- Consultation of documents by email or on computers instead of printing;
- Use of water distributors instead of water bottles;
- Encourage the use of electronic forms;
- Promote the use of emails;
- Sending menus and contracts by emails;
- Use of condiments (salt, pepper, sugar) and products such as cream, milk and juice in bulk instead of individual containers.
Management of hazardous materials :
- Recycle and dispose of ink cartridges, disposable batteries, waste oils, fluorescent tubes, solvents, paints, chemical products, and aerosol containers in an environmentally friendly manner;
- Use of biodegradable, non-toxic cleaning products;
- Use of EnvironMelt ice melter.
Green purchasing :
- Use of biodegradable, disposable dishes;
- Purchases from local suppliers;
- Bulk purchasing: butter, cereals, milk, and others products;
- Support the certified organic farmers and give preference to local suppliers.
Community cooperation: :
- Recycling of soaps which are then delivered to a local soap maker;
- Donation of clothes and bedclothes to community organizations;
- When replacing furniture, donation and sale of the old furniture.
Through these actions, we want to increase awareness of our employees and guests on the importance of environmental protection and of sustainable economic and social development. We are therefore committed to remain proactive in developing and using new technologies that are respectful of the environment and the community, and to improve the efficiency of our facilities in order to preserve the environment which is central to our business.